Venice
We spent a day in Venice before taking a night train to Bari. It was a fascinating and beautiful city, but the imposing presence of tourists masked whatever cultural charm might have once adorned this historic place.

Denis and I taking a water taxi around the city.

A view of South side of Venice.

The Grand Canal, the main passageway through the center of Venice.

The streets in Venice are even narrower than Florence and Rome. Since the only non-pedestrian mode of transportation is on water, I guess they don't need the extra space!

A gondola wading through the city. These boats are beautiful, but are extremely expensive to ride. I chose to take the water taxi instead so I could afford to eat and sleep for the rest of my trip!

Another Gondola...

Thankfully Denis and I resisted taking the Gondola so that we could afford to eat this tasty pizza!

These Marionette artists (Marioneteers?) were incredible. Their performance of Beatles' tunes was remarkably choreographed to the music.

A trip to the beach in Lido. We didn't have a bathing suites, but it was nice to get out of the city.

Saint Mark's Square. Perhaps once of the most famous squares in all of Europe.

Saint Mark's Cathedral. Denis and I saw the burial place of the Apostle Mark here in the stunning gold-inlaid Cathedral.

1 Comments:
dan, you mention that you and denis didn't have your bathing suits. i like the various euro terms for swim suits: bathing costumes, togs, etc..
Post a Comment
<< Home